DMK wants adequate precaution in place in KNPP
Chennai: With the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant all set to attain criticality, DMK on Saturday reaffirmed its position that adequate precaution should be in place even as it batted for the project.
"I have stated (our) position (already) ...That the project is also required and at the same time there should be precaution (to ensure) there are no dangers for the people," party president M Karunanidhi told reporters here.
He was responding to queries on an anti-nuclear lobby announcing to continue with the protests against the Indo-Russian joint venture.
The first unit is all set to attain criticality by midnight tonight.
To a query on the ongoing strike by NLC employees, Karunanidhi said,"we will be satisfied if those who have to be concerned are concerned," in an apparent reference to the Central government.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and his party have been taking some steps in this issue, he said in a reference to the opposition to Centre`s proposal to disinvest 5 per cent shares in the PSU.
Karunanidhi had backed Jayalalithaa`s offer to the Centre to buy the 5 per cent shares which she wanted to be sold to state government firms like TIDCO and/or SIPCOT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick