DMK wants steps for permanent solution to fishermen issue
Chennai: Expressing concern over the continuing arrests of Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy despite Prime Minister Narendra Modi `honouring` Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa by inviting him for his swearing-in ceremony, DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Monday asked the BJP government to take steps for a permanent solution to the issue.
"The Indian Prime Minister honoured Sri lankan President by inviting him for his swearing-in ceremony. He (Rajapaksa) also announced releasing of arrested Indian fishermen as a goodwill gesture. But the arrests have not stopped," Karunanidhi said adding India had also released Sri Lankan fishermen from its jails.
He recalled that fishermen associations from Rameswaram, Mandapam and Pamban had decided to resort to indefinite strike protesting the Lankan Navy`s attacks.
"No solution has been found despite long discussions held twice by fishermen representatives of both countries (on fishing rights on Palk Strait). Contrary to expectations that arrest of the fishermen would end after BJP government was formed, it keeps continuing," he said.
"Therefore, I urge the Modi-led Central government to immediately come forward to find out a permanent solution for this issue," he said in a statement here.
He was responding to the arrest of 73 Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy on June 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video