DMK warns UPA on attacks on TN fishermen
Chennai: Lashing out at the Centre for
continued attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen by their Sri Lankan
counterparts and the island nation`s navy, key UPA coalition
partner DMK today warned that neither such incidents nor delay
on government`s part to intervene can be tolerated.
In a strongly-worded statement, DMK chief M Karunanidhi
said the latest attack, where Sri Lankan fishermen hurled
petrol bombs at Indian fishermen came days after External
Affairs Minister S M Krishna`s visit to the island nation and
assurances there will be no problems for Tamil Nadu fishermen.
"While his assurances have gone with the wind and attacks
seem to be a continuing affair, people of Tamil Nadu have been
forced to a situation which they cannot tolerate anymore.
"Before things take a turn for the worse, the Centre
should intervene without delay. I warn neither the delay nor
attacks by Sri Lankan fishermen and its Navy can be
tolerated," he said.
The attack has the potential of `provoking` the people of
the state, he added.
In the latest attack, a fishing boat from Rameswaram was
damaged after Sri Lankan fishermen allegedly hurled a petrol
bomb at it near Katchatheevu in the Palk straits.
The boat`s stern had caught fire in the attack last
night. Fishermen had alleged that earlier Sri Lankan naval
personnel in the vicinity had asked them not to venture into
Lankan territorial waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly