DMK will never remain silent to anti-people decisi
Chennai: Key UPA ally DMK on Sunday asserted that it would never remain silent to any decision that go against the people and said it had not hesitated in the past to walk out of a ruling alliance to uphold its principles.
"We don`t tolerate issues that are against people and we have not hesitated to walkout to uphold our principles as we did with the BJP-led NDA government," DMK chief M Karunanidhi said at a public meeting organised to mark his 89th birthday.
The DMK patriarch recalled that his party had pulled out of the NDA after it had "become communal and anti-minority" saying the party could no more work under the leadership of BJP veteran and then Prime Minister AB Vajpayee, who, he said, was known for his good credentials.
"Just because we have (political) agreement it does not mean we will accept everything proposed by an ally in the saddle. When petrol prices were hiked, we did not keep quiet and sought a reduction," he said referring to the party`s demand for substantial reduction in the recent steep hike.
"We could heave a sigh of relief only after it (reduction) happened," he said in an apparent reference to the Rs two per litre rollback announced by the oil companies against the Rs 7.50 hike, which triggered a huge public outcry.
A key UPA ally, Karunanidhi had led a state-wide protest on May 30 against the fuel price hike where he issued a veiled warning to pull out of the alliance on the issue. However, in a flip-flop within hours, he denied having held out any such threat.
The DMK chief said there were complaints now that the (Rs two) reduction in petrol price was not enough, but hastened to add that the government was explaining the rationale behind the hike indicating at reasons including falling Indian rupee.
He took a dig at his arch-rival and AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa saying her government had not announced even a token rollback of prices of milk and bus fares that were hiked last year, despite pleas from allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'