`DMK won`t nominate anyone for ministerial berth in cabinet reshuffle`
Chennai: The DMK won`t nominate anyone for any ministerial post in the central government in any reshuffle, party president M. Karunanidhi declared Sunday.
Ahead of the party`s executive committee meeting Monday, he denied that the DMK would accept additional ministerial berths in the central government.
"Whatever the changes in the central government, there will not be anybody on behalf of DMK party becoming a cabinet minister or minister of state," he said in a statement.
DMK`s A. Raja and Dayanidhi Maran quit Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s cabinet following the telecom scandal. The DMK has not nominated anyone in their place despite offers from the Congress.
Raja resigned as communications minister in November 2010 following the spectrum allocation controversy. He was later jailed.
In July 2011, Maran resigned as textiles minister after the CBI alleged that as communications minister he forced Aircel telecom company`s promoter C. Sivasankaran to sell his stake to Maxis group.
The DMK has maintained a distance from the Congress since the Tamil Nadu assembly elections of 2011 brought the AIADMK to power.
The party also took part in a nationwide strike called by the opposition in September against the centre`s economic decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video