‘Don`t release a drop of Cauvery water to TN’
Bangalore: Leader of Opposition in the
Karnataka Legislative Assembly, Siddaramaiah today asked the
state government not to release Cauvery river water to
neighbouring Tamil Nadu.
"Not even a single drop of Cauvery river water should be
released to Tamil Nadu," Siddaramaiah said, noting that the
water-sharing is a delicate issue that whips up passion.
He remarked that there is already drinking water shortage
in Mysore and Bangalore.
Siddaramaiah appealed to the government to take firm and
tough stand on the issue, adding that "injustice" has been
done to Karnataka in the final order passed by the Cauvery
Water Disputes Tribunal in February, 2007.
Noting that the order has been challenged by Karnataka in
the Supreme Court, he said "it has to be legally fought".
Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said he would make a
statement on Cauvery river water sharing issue, after which
his government is ready for a discussion on the subject in the
Gowda, who had said last week that the interests of
Karnataka farmers would be protected, reiterated there would
be no compromise on the issue.
Tamil Nadu has filed an application in the Supreme Court
seeking urgent directions to restrain Karnataka from resorting
to summer irrigation and consequent depletion of water
storages in the reservoirs in Karnataka, in contravention of
the final order.
The application said that as on March 15, the storage in
the four reservoirs had depleted and only about 20 to 30 tmcft
of water would remain by the end of May, as against the full
storage of 114.5 tmcft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video