Don`t take part in Lanka defence meet, Vaiko urges Centre
Chennai: MDMK, an ally of BJP in Tamil Nadu, on Tuesday urged the Union government to not participate in a defence conference which is to be hosted by Sri Lanka next month.
"It is shocking to learn that an Indian delegation, comprising senior military personnel, officials and BJP leaders, including Subramanian Swamy, will be participating in a defence conference being organised by Sri Lanka," MDMK general secretary Vaiko said in a statement here.
The conference is to be held in the island nation between August 18 and 20.
Reiterating his charge that Sri Lanka had committed genocide and annihilated Tamils using even banned chemical weapons, Vaiko said the Centre`s "pro-Lanka" stance had led to doubts whether India was going to bury justice by joining hands with the island nation.
"At a time when several nations are urging an independent, international probe into the genocide in the United Nations Human Rights Council, an Indian delegation participating in the Lanka defence meet is unpardonable," he said.
On the remark attributed to senior BJP functionary Seshadri Chari in Singapore that "India`s foreign policy cannot be determined by considering Tamil Nadu and West Bengal," Vaiko said the view was `poisonous" and deserved to be condemned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days