Double tumbler system: Six teashop owners held in TN
Dharmapuri (TN): The 'double tumbler' system of discrimination against Dalits and other caste Hindus where they are given separate cups to drink tea came to the fore in two villages after six tea shop owners were arrested on Saturday for indulging in this practice.
Superintendent of Police Asra Garg said a special team, acting on information about the practice in tea shops in Pennagaram and Palacode taluks in the district, kept a watch and nabbed the tea shop owners while they serving the brew separately to the customers.
All of them were produced before the courts in the two taluks and remanded to 15 days judicial custody.
Garg urged villagers and volunteers finding anyone indulding in anti-social practices, including female infanticide in their area, to inform the District Police Office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi
- Radical changes! Two-division Tests and One-Day League on ICC agenda
- Pampore encounter: Mufti, Nirmal Singh attend wreath laying ceremony
- Vitara Brezza, Innova make it to top 10 best selling passenger vehicles in May
- Mohammad Anas shatters national record, qualifies for Rio Olympics men's 400m race