Drama at marriage ceremony over bride`s gilded ornaments
Virudhunagar: High drama prevailed at a marriage function here after the bridegroom`s family allegedly objected to the bride wearing `gilt` ornaments leading to fisticuffs between the two families and the ceremony being cancelled, police said Thursday.
The bridegroom, who was injured, has been admitted to hospital, police said, adding that his mother, a BSNL employee, was today arrested on dowry charges.
The bride`s family had promised to give 50 sovereigns of jewels and Rs two lakh in cash. However, the bridegroom`s family got suspicious with the ornaments worn by the 25-year-old bride when she turned up at the local temple, venue of the ceremony, leading to a wordy duel between members of the two families.
They later exchanged blows and the 33-year-old groom, working as a manager in a private bank, suffered head injuries.
The bridegroom`s mother had allegedly asked why the girl was wearing gilt jewels, and insisted on her wearing genuine ornaments, sources said.
A case has been registered against the bride`s family for attacking and injuring the groom, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical