Drama at marriage ceremony over bride`s gilded ornaments
Virudhunagar: High drama prevailed at a marriage function here after the bridegroom`s family allegedly objected to the bride wearing `gilt` ornaments leading to fisticuffs between the two families and the ceremony being cancelled, police said Thursday.
The bridegroom, who was injured, has been admitted to hospital, police said, adding that his mother, a BSNL employee, was today arrested on dowry charges.
The bride`s family had promised to give 50 sovereigns of jewels and Rs two lakh in cash. However, the bridegroom`s family got suspicious with the ornaments worn by the 25-year-old bride when she turned up at the local temple, venue of the ceremony, leading to a wordy duel between members of the two families.
They later exchanged blows and the 33-year-old groom, working as a manager in a private bank, suffered head injuries.
The bridegroom`s mother had allegedly asked why the girl was wearing gilt jewels, and insisted on her wearing genuine ornaments, sources said.
A case has been registered against the bride`s family for attacking and injuring the groom, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- North Korea floats propaganda leaflets in river for 1st time
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested