Drama at marriage ceremony over bride`s gilded ornaments
Virudhunagar: High drama prevailed at a marriage function here after the bridegroom`s family allegedly objected to the bride wearing `gilt` ornaments leading to fisticuffs between the two families and the ceremony being cancelled, police said Thursday.
The bridegroom, who was injured, has been admitted to hospital, police said, adding that his mother, a BSNL employee, was today arrested on dowry charges.
The bride`s family had promised to give 50 sovereigns of jewels and Rs two lakh in cash. However, the bridegroom`s family got suspicious with the ornaments worn by the 25-year-old bride when she turned up at the local temple, venue of the ceremony, leading to a wordy duel between members of the two families.
They later exchanged blows and the 33-year-old groom, working as a manager in a private bank, suffered head injuries.
The bridegroom`s mother had allegedly asked why the girl was wearing gilt jewels, and insisted on her wearing genuine ornaments, sources said.
A case has been registered against the bride`s family for attacking and injuring the groom, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam