Drama witnessed in Madras High Court
Chennai: There was high drama in the Madras High Court on Wednesday when a judge entered a jampacked court room where a bench was hearing a PIL seeking withdrawal of names recommended for appointment as additional judges and said the selection was "not fair".
"This selection is not fair. I will file an affidavit against it in my own name. I am also a part of Judiciary. Please note it down," Justice CS Karnan said and walked out of the court hall even before the special bench, comprising Justice V Dhanapalan and Justice KK Sasidharan could react.
A Collegium of High Court judges had recommended 12 names, out of which 10 were selected from the Bar, for appointment as additional judges.
The special bench was constituted today by Chief Justice R K Agrawal after another bench, comprising Justice S Rajeswsaran and Justice P N Prakash, which had heard the arguments on the PIL filed by senior Advocate R Gandhi against acceptability of the list, recused themselves.
The Madras High Court Advocates Association, which had announced a boycott of court proceedings today protesting the list, had allowed only this case to be heard.
Justice Karnan incident unfolded barely moments after Justice Dhanapalan expressed anger over the conduct of some MHAA advocates who had allegedly barged into his court and raised slogans in the morning.
Even as he was condemning their conduct, a lawyer interrupted him and said the entire judiciary kept quiet when police entered court rooms and attacked advocates and judges on February 19, 2009. The advocate was then led out by his colleagues.
However, arguments on the PIL against the list of names, continued nevertheless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon