Drill at Tirunelveli hospital raises people`s hackles
Tirunelveli (TN): A drill organised today to create awareness among women in the maternity ward of the local government hospital about `child-lifters` turned out to be a nerve-wracking experience for police as well as patients.
Bystanders in the ward were taken aback when they heard a woman wailing that her three-day old child had been stolen.
The woman was not intimated about the drill and as soon as she realised her baby was missing, she started screaming.
DIG of Police and Commissioner Sumith Saran and other police officials rushed to the spot and conducted an inquiry. The mother told them that a woman who was speaking to her had stolen the child.
After examining the CCTV footage, the `thief` was nabbed and the baby handed over to the mother within two hours, sources said. However, people started complaining that police were playing with the life a child by conducting the drill without prior information.
Officials said the drill began at 8:40 am, and was kept a secret to check the efficacy of the security system at the Hospital.
Women in the ward were irked over the drill as the parents of the child were on tenterhooks for two hours.
Police on their part said they were concerned about the reports of child-lifting in various hospitals, and wanted to create an awareness about how the child-lifters would operate and check the security system. They only wanted to help the public and no malice was intended, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened