Drop proposal to release life convicts: Jaya to govt
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa Friday demanded that the DMK government drop its proposal to release life convicts coinciding with the ongoing world classical Tamil conference as it would be undemocratic but also amount to disrespecting the court.
Her comments came following reports that the government was mulling releasing the convicts.
In 2008, the government had set free over 1000 prisoners to mark the birth anniversary of former Chief Minister CN Annadurai, against which Janata Party President Subramanian
Swamy had filed a petition.
Jayalalithaa said the release of 1,405 prisoners two years back was against the policy of Annadurai. "If the DMK Government goes ahead with its plan it will pave way for an
increase in crime in the state," she said.
The AIADMK leader also alleged that the released prisoners would indulge in election malpractices in the coming assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!