Drop proposal to release life convicts: Jaya to govt
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa Friday demanded that the DMK government drop its proposal to release life convicts coinciding with the ongoing world classical Tamil conference as it would be undemocratic but also amount to disrespecting the court.
Her comments came following reports that the government was mulling releasing the convicts.
In 2008, the government had set free over 1000 prisoners to mark the birth anniversary of former Chief Minister CN Annadurai, against which Janata Party President Subramanian
Swamy had filed a petition.
Jayalalithaa said the release of 1,405 prisoners two years back was against the policy of Annadurai. "If the DMK Government goes ahead with its plan it will pave way for an
increase in crime in the state," she said.
The AIADMK leader also alleged that the released prisoners would indulge in election malpractices in the coming assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL