Drop proposal to release life convicts: Jaya to govt
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa Friday demanded that the DMK government drop its proposal to release life convicts coinciding with the ongoing world classical Tamil conference as it would be undemocratic but also amount to disrespecting the court.
Her comments came following reports that the government was mulling releasing the convicts.
In 2008, the government had set free over 1000 prisoners to mark the birth anniversary of former Chief Minister CN Annadurai, against which Janata Party President Subramanian
Swamy had filed a petition.
Jayalalithaa said the release of 1,405 prisoners two years back was against the policy of Annadurai. "If the DMK Government goes ahead with its plan it will pave way for an
increase in crime in the state," she said.
The AIADMK leader also alleged that the released prisoners would indulge in election malpractices in the coming assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price