Drowned sailor’s parents commit suicide, blame govt
Chennai: In a heart-wrenching incident, the parents of a sailor, one among the five who drowned after oiltanker MT Pratibha Cauvery ran aground on October 31, have committed suicide by hanging.
The Pratibha Cauvery belonging to Mumbai-based Pratibha Shipping with 37 member crew ran aground here as cyclone Nilam hit Tamil Nadu coast.
According to a report in a daily, the middle-aged parents of sailor Niranjan have left behind a suicide note which blamed the government as well as the shipping agency for negligence and inaction.
An aunt of the sailor found the 56-year-old KN Kothandapani and the 50-year-old SK Bharathi hanging from the same rope this morning, the report said.
Niranjan had reportedly drowned after he abandoned the ship and his lifeboat capsized near the Besant Nagar beach.
In the suicide note, Kothandapani put the blame on the shipping agency and the government for not taking action against people responsible for his son`s death and not reaching out to the family.
According to a Chennai Port official, Pratibha Cauvery was proceeding to Mumbai after discharging its cargo at the port.
The ship returned as it was called back by the Chennai Port on October 08, the official said.
He said the ship`s engine was not powerful enough to counter the strong winds and it started drifting towards the shore.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus