Drowned sailor’s parents commit suicide, blame govt
Chennai: In a heart-wrenching incident, the parents of a sailor, one among the five who drowned after oiltanker MT Pratibha Cauvery ran aground on October 31, have committed suicide by hanging.
The Pratibha Cauvery belonging to Mumbai-based Pratibha Shipping with 37 member crew ran aground here as cyclone Nilam hit Tamil Nadu coast.
According to a report in a daily, the middle-aged parents of sailor Niranjan have left behind a suicide note which blamed the government as well as the shipping agency for negligence and inaction.
An aunt of the sailor found the 56-year-old KN Kothandapani and the 50-year-old SK Bharathi hanging from the same rope this morning, the report said.
Niranjan had reportedly drowned after he abandoned the ship and his lifeboat capsized near the Besant Nagar beach.
In the suicide note, Kothandapani put the blame on the shipping agency and the government for not taking action against people responsible for his son`s death and not reaching out to the family.
According to a Chennai Port official, Pratibha Cauvery was proceeding to Mumbai after discharging its cargo at the port.
The ship returned as it was called back by the Chennai Port on October 08, the official said.
He said the ship`s engine was not powerful enough to counter the strong winds and it started drifting towards the shore.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened