Drowned sailor’s parents commit suicide, blame govt
Chennai: In a heart-wrenching incident, the parents of a sailor, one among the five who drowned after oiltanker MT Pratibha Cauvery ran aground on October 31, have committed suicide by hanging.
The Pratibha Cauvery belonging to Mumbai-based Pratibha Shipping with 37 member crew ran aground here as cyclone Nilam hit Tamil Nadu coast.
According to a report in a daily, the middle-aged parents of sailor Niranjan have left behind a suicide note which blamed the government as well as the shipping agency for negligence and inaction.
An aunt of the sailor found the 56-year-old KN Kothandapani and the 50-year-old SK Bharathi hanging from the same rope this morning, the report said.
Niranjan had reportedly drowned after he abandoned the ship and his lifeboat capsized near the Besant Nagar beach.
In the suicide note, Kothandapani put the blame on the shipping agency and the government for not taking action against people responsible for his son`s death and not reaching out to the family.
According to a Chennai Port official, Pratibha Cauvery was proceeding to Mumbai after discharging its cargo at the port.
The ship returned as it was called back by the Chennai Port on October 08, the official said.
He said the ship`s engine was not powerful enough to counter the strong winds and it started drifting towards the shore.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir
- Banwarilal Purohit sworn in as Assam Governor