DVAC raids 73 premises;TNPSC Chairman resigns
Chennai: Directorate of Vigilance and
Anti-Corruption officials on Friday raided 73 premises of
candidates as part of its probe into alleged irregularities in
appointments made by Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission even
as its Chairman is understood to have resigned.
TNPSC sources said Chairman R Sellamuthu has submitted
his papers to Governor K Rosaiah though there was no official
Sellamuthu was appointed by way of a government order
dated January 3, 2010, for a period of six years during the
previous DMK regime. The ruling AIADMK had brought the nodal
recruiting agency under the vigilance ambit in August last.
Sellamuthu and other members of the Commission had come
under the DVAC scanner over alleged irregularities in
recruitment of Assistant Dental surgeons and Motor Vehicle
A case had been registered against them under Prevention of
Corruption Act, 1988 and various IPC sections last year and
they are facing charges including criminal misconduct by
obtaining pecuniary advantage and abuse of official position.
In the fourth of its state-wide crackdown, DVAC officials
today swooped down on candidates who allegedly paid money and
are suspected to have got favours. Raids were conducted at the
premises of 73 candidates, a DVAC release said.
Searches were conducted at the premises of those who had
appeared for various exams held by TNPSC, sources said.
The places that were raided include 13 in Madurai, 10 in
Chennai, five each in Thanjavur and Pudukottai, four each in
Sivaganga, Salem and Vellore, three each in Kancheepuram,
Theni, Tiruchirapalli, Erode and Dharmapuri, a DVAC release
DVAC had earlier conducted searches at the residences and
offices of TNPSC members besides staff (suspected to be
involved in the case) and suspected middle men respectively on
October 14, November 18 and December 13 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics