DVAC raids former DMK minister`s houses
Chennai: Vigilance officials on Friday conducted raids at premises belonging to former DMK minister KR Periakaruppan and his relatives in 11 places across Tamil Nadu in connection with a disproportionate assets case.
The Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption conducted an inquiry on specific information and registered a case against Periakaruppan for having allegedly accumulated assets
in his name and that of his family disproportionate to his known sources of income under sections of Prevention of Corruption Act, a DVAC statement said.
DVAC alleged that Periakaruppan had accumulated movable and immovable assets in his name and in his family`s to the tune of Rs 1,10,60,546 disproportionate to his known sources of
income during May 13, 2006 to March 31, 2010 while he was Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Minister.
Raids were conducted in 11 places including his and kin`s residences, farm houses in Sivaganga, Dindigul and Chennai districts.
Periakaruppan, now MLA, is the latest among several DMK leaders and former Ministers besides MLAS to face police and DVAC action either on land grab charges or allegations of
disproportionate assets after the AIADMK government came to power in April last year.
DVAC had earlier conducted raids at the houses of nine former DMK Ministers, J Anbazhagan, MLA and former legislator B Ranganathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?