DVAC raids premises of four ex-Assembly officials
Chennai: Vigilance officials on Tuesday conducted raids at the premises of four former officials of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly here for alleged malpractices during their tenure.
The raids were in progress at the premises of former Assembly secretary M Selvaraj, then Committee Officer PSK Singaravelu, Section Officer, S Balakrishnan, and then joint secretary K Indira, Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption sources said.
A DVAC release said a preliminary probe was conducted following information that Selvaraj had allegedly committed certain malpractices during his tenure between August 2007 and March 2011, which resulted in huge loss of government funds.
During the probe, it was found that Selvaraj, while serving as secretary, Legislative Assembly Secretariat, had visited Delhi and allegedly claimed Rs 75,319 by furnishing false information that he went on an official trip.
He also allegedly allotted rooms in MLA Hostel to unauthorised persons free of rent, thereby violating the provisions of the Tamil Nadu Legislators Hostel (Accommodation) Rules 1969 and caused wrongful loss to government to the tune of Rs 1,90,200, it said.
He had also allegedly committed malpractices by hiring vehicles from private travel agencies for the use of his family members and claimed the amount from government funds and also committed malpractices in issuing work orders to a private workshop for repairing the official vehicles, the release said.
Selvaraj in pursuance of criminal conspiracy with the other three officials issued work order to a local Co-operative Cottage Ind. Society Ltd, for carrying out some works in the Assembly Library and falsely claimed an amount of Rs 3,90,400, without actually performing the work, by stating that painting and repair works were carried out, it alleged.
The raids were conducted after a case was registered under several IPC sections, including cheating, and the Prevention of Corruption Act, DVAC added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice