DVAC raids premises of four ex-Assembly officials
Chennai: Vigilance officials on Tuesday conducted raids at the premises of four former officials of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly here for alleged malpractices during their tenure.
The raids were in progress at the premises of former Assembly secretary M Selvaraj, then Committee Officer PSK Singaravelu, Section Officer, S Balakrishnan, and then joint secretary K Indira, Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption sources said.
A DVAC release said a preliminary probe was conducted following information that Selvaraj had allegedly committed certain malpractices during his tenure between August 2007 and March 2011, which resulted in huge loss of government funds.
During the probe, it was found that Selvaraj, while serving as secretary, Legislative Assembly Secretariat, had visited Delhi and allegedly claimed Rs 75,319 by furnishing false information that he went on an official trip.
He also allegedly allotted rooms in MLA Hostel to unauthorised persons free of rent, thereby violating the provisions of the Tamil Nadu Legislators Hostel (Accommodation) Rules 1969 and caused wrongful loss to government to the tune of Rs 1,90,200, it said.
He had also allegedly committed malpractices by hiring vehicles from private travel agencies for the use of his family members and claimed the amount from government funds and also committed malpractices in issuing work orders to a private workshop for repairing the official vehicles, the release said.
Selvaraj in pursuance of criminal conspiracy with the other three officials issued work order to a local Co-operative Cottage Ind. Society Ltd, for carrying out some works in the Assembly Library and falsely claimed an amount of Rs 3,90,400, without actually performing the work, by stating that painting and repair works were carried out, it alleged.
The raids were conducted after a case was registered under several IPC sections, including cheating, and the Prevention of Corruption Act, DVAC added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far