DVAC raids premises of four ex-Assembly officials
Chennai: Vigilance officials on Tuesday conducted raids at the premises of four former officials of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly here for alleged malpractices during their tenure.
The raids were in progress at the premises of former Assembly secretary M Selvaraj, then Committee Officer PSK Singaravelu, Section Officer, S Balakrishnan, and then joint secretary K Indira, Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption sources said.
A DVAC release said a preliminary probe was conducted following information that Selvaraj had allegedly committed certain malpractices during his tenure between August 2007 and March 2011, which resulted in huge loss of government funds.
During the probe, it was found that Selvaraj, while serving as secretary, Legislative Assembly Secretariat, had visited Delhi and allegedly claimed Rs 75,319 by furnishing false information that he went on an official trip.
He also allegedly allotted rooms in MLA Hostel to unauthorised persons free of rent, thereby violating the provisions of the Tamil Nadu Legislators Hostel (Accommodation) Rules 1969 and caused wrongful loss to government to the tune of Rs 1,90,200, it said.
He had also allegedly committed malpractices by hiring vehicles from private travel agencies for the use of his family members and claimed the amount from government funds and also committed malpractices in issuing work orders to a private workshop for repairing the official vehicles, the release said.
Selvaraj in pursuance of criminal conspiracy with the other three officials issued work order to a local Co-operative Cottage Ind. Society Ltd, for carrying out some works in the Assembly Library and falsely claimed an amount of Rs 3,90,400, without actually performing the work, by stating that painting and repair works were carried out, it alleged.
The raids were conducted after a case was registered under several IPC sections, including cheating, and the Prevention of Corruption Act, DVAC added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen