E-mail alert to Collector helps stop minor`s marriage
Kanchipuram: An e-mail alert to District Collector Hanish Chandra helped stop the marriage of a 16-year-old girl on Sunday.
Officials, acting on the directions of the collector, who received the alert yesterday, found out the address of the marriage hall and collected details of the families of the `bride` and `bridgegroom` at Shekipet area
Later they went to the residences of the famililes and warned them against conducting the marriage.The families tried in vain to convince officials that such marriages were common in their community, but were told that penal action would be taken against them if they went ahead with the marriage.
This is the second child marriage prevented by officials in the past. Two months back they had stopped a marriage on an alert by a social activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?