E-mail alert to Collector helps stop minor`s marriage
Kanchipuram: An e-mail alert to District Collector Hanish Chandra helped stop the marriage of a 16-year-old girl on Sunday.
Officials, acting on the directions of the collector, who received the alert yesterday, found out the address of the marriage hall and collected details of the families of the `bride` and `bridgegroom` at Shekipet area
Later they went to the residences of the famililes and warned them against conducting the marriage.The families tried in vain to convince officials that such marriages were common in their community, but were told that penal action would be taken against them if they went ahead with the marriage.
This is the second child marriage prevented by officials in the past. Two months back they had stopped a marriage on an alert by a social activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets