E-mail alert to Collector helps stop minor`s marriage
Kanchipuram: An e-mail alert to District Collector Hanish Chandra helped stop the marriage of a 16-year-old girl on Sunday.
Officials, acting on the directions of the collector, who received the alert yesterday, found out the address of the marriage hall and collected details of the families of the `bride` and `bridgegroom` at Shekipet area
Later they went to the residences of the famililes and warned them against conducting the marriage.The families tried in vain to convince officials that such marriages were common in their community, but were told that penal action would be taken against them if they went ahead with the marriage.
This is the second child marriage prevented by officials in the past. Two months back they had stopped a marriage on an alert by a social activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender