E-mail alert to Collector helps stop minor`s marriage
Kanchipuram: An e-mail alert to District Collector Hanish Chandra helped stop the marriage of a 16-year-old girl on Sunday.
Officials, acting on the directions of the collector, who received the alert yesterday, found out the address of the marriage hall and collected details of the families of the `bride` and `bridgegroom` at Shekipet area
Later they went to the residences of the famililes and warned them against conducting the marriage.The families tried in vain to convince officials that such marriages were common in their community, but were told that penal action would be taken against them if they went ahead with the marriage.
This is the second child marriage prevented by officials in the past. Two months back they had stopped a marriage on an alert by a social activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed