EC says it is taking steps to tackle paid news
Chennai: The Election Commission on Saturday
expressed concern over the phenomenon of paid news but said it
was taking steps to tackle it by having EC monitored
committees at the district level.
"Committees at the district level, facilitated by the
EC, will monitor paid news," Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Quraishi told an open house here.
EC had also sought the help of Press Council of India
on the matter, he said adding political parties at a recent
meeting with EC had also supported the need to control paid
On the issue of money power, he said EC would work in
coordination with the IT department to monitor expenditure of
candidates and a separate division would monitor election-
related expenditure, he added.
Tackling money power and monitoring expenditure will
be key issues in upcoming elections, he added.
He also assured action on complaints in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident