EC says it is taking steps to tackle paid news
Chennai: The Election Commission on Saturday
expressed concern over the phenomenon of paid news but said it
was taking steps to tackle it by having EC monitored
committees at the district level.
"Committees at the district level, facilitated by the
EC, will monitor paid news," Chief Election Commissioner S Y
Quraishi told an open house here.
EC had also sought the help of Press Council of India
on the matter, he said adding political parties at a recent
meeting with EC had also supported the need to control paid
On the issue of money power, he said EC would work in
coordination with the IT department to monitor expenditure of
candidates and a separate division would monitor election-
related expenditure, he added.
Tackling money power and monitoring expenditure will
be key issues in upcoming elections, he added.
He also assured action on complaints in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!