Eight killed in fire at cracker godown in TN
Salem: Eight persons were killed and five others were injured in a fire mishap at a fireworks unit godown near here on Tuesday, police said.
Five persons, including the owner of the unit, died on the spot while three others succumbed to burns at a hospital, District Superintendent of Police Aswin Kotnis said.
The injured were undergoing treatment at different hospitals, he said.
The deceased included five women and a 12-year-old girl.
The victims were involved in making fireworks when the mishap occurred at the unit at Parakallur, 42 km from here. The cause of the fire was under investigation, police said.
The intensity of the explosion was so powerful that the entire godown was razed to the ground.
The unit used to make fireworks largely for use in temple festivals in the region.
On September 5, 39 people were killed in a devastating blaze at a fireworks manufacturing unit near Sivakasi, the national hub for crackers in Virudhunagar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her