Eight killed in fire at cracker godown in TN
Salem: Eight persons were killed and five others were injured in a fire mishap at a fireworks unit godown near here on Tuesday, police said.
Five persons, including the owner of the unit, died on the spot while three others succumbed to burns at a hospital, District Superintendent of Police Aswin Kotnis said.
The injured were undergoing treatment at different hospitals, he said.
The deceased included five women and a 12-year-old girl.
The victims were involved in making fireworks when the mishap occurred at the unit at Parakallur, 42 km from here. The cause of the fire was under investigation, police said.
The intensity of the explosion was so powerful that the entire godown was razed to the ground.
The unit used to make fireworks largely for use in temple festivals in the region.
On September 5, 39 people were killed in a devastating blaze at a fireworks manufacturing unit near Sivakasi, the national hub for crackers in Virudhunagar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie