Eight killed in fire at cracker godown in TN
Salem: Eight persons were killed and five others were injured in a fire mishap at a fireworks unit godown near here on Tuesday, police said.
Five persons, including the owner of the unit, died on the spot while three others succumbed to burns at a hospital, District Superintendent of Police Aswin Kotnis said.
The injured were undergoing treatment at different hospitals, he said.
The deceased included five women and a 12-year-old girl.
The victims were involved in making fireworks when the mishap occurred at the unit at Parakallur, 42 km from here. The cause of the fire was under investigation, police said.
The intensity of the explosion was so powerful that the entire godown was razed to the ground.
The unit used to make fireworks largely for use in temple festivals in the region.
On September 5, 39 people were killed in a devastating blaze at a fireworks manufacturing unit near Sivakasi, the national hub for crackers in Virudhunagar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why