Elderly man gets life sentence for killing daughter-in-law in Tamil Nadu
Erode: A 70-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a court here for murdering his widowed daughter-in-law over property dispute and disposing of her body by burning after chopping it into pieces last year.
Principal District Judge N Sathish, in his judgement yesterday, also levied a fine of Rs 7,000 on Ramasamy of Namakkalpalayam for destroying evidence by burning the body, prosecution sources said.
There was property dispute between Ramasamy and his 38-year-old daughter-in-law Selvi after the death of his only son some five years ago. He was also keeping with him the nine-year-old granddaughter.
Following a quarrel with the victim on May 14, 2012, Ramasamy hacked her to death and took the body to a nearby place where he cut it into pieces and set them on fire.
Villagers, who noticed him burning something, informed police leading to his arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday