Elderly man gets life sentence for killing daughter-in-law in Tamil Nadu
Erode: A 70-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a court here for murdering his widowed daughter-in-law over property dispute and disposing of her body by burning after chopping it into pieces last year.
Principal District Judge N Sathish, in his judgement yesterday, also levied a fine of Rs 7,000 on Ramasamy of Namakkalpalayam for destroying evidence by burning the body, prosecution sources said.
There was property dispute between Ramasamy and his 38-year-old daughter-in-law Selvi after the death of his only son some five years ago. He was also keeping with him the nine-year-old granddaughter.
Following a quarrel with the victim on May 14, 2012, Ramasamy hacked her to death and took the body to a nearby place where he cut it into pieces and set them on fire.
Villagers, who noticed him burning something, informed police leading to his arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY