Election petitions against TR Baalu dismissed
Chennai: Madras High Court on Monday dismissed two petitions which challenged the election of senior DMK leader TR Baalu from Sriperumbudur Lok Sabha constituency in 2009.
Dismissing the petitions filed by losing PMK candidate AK Moorthy and independent P Nagaraj, Justice S Rajeswaran said there were no sufficient `material facts` to support the allegations raised by them.
Moorthy contended that there was a difference of 2,864 votes between the total number of votes polled in the EVMs and the assembly constituency wise tally.
Both the petitioners also claimed that Baalu had violated certain provisions of the Representation of People`s Act.
Dismissing their contentions, the judge said, "I hold that the election petitions do not contain material facts, which are necessary and there is no cause of action for filing the petitions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days