Elusive associate of slain forest brigand Veerappan held
Erode (TN): A close associate of slain forest
brigand Veerappan, evading the police for past 11 years in a
police station attack case in Tamil Nadu, was arrested by the
Special Task Force personnel in the district.
Rasu (32) was arrested yesterday following investigations
by the STF and Anthiyur forest personnel into an incident of
elephant poaching in the area, police said.
STF sources said Rasu was a close associate of Veerappan,
killed in an encounter by the STF in October, 2004. Rasu had
accompanied the dreaded sandalwood smuggler in his attack on
the Vellitirupur police station on December 20, 1998.
Veerappan and his gang had taken away nine muskets and a
revolver from the police station after immobilising four
policemen present there. Rasu was absconding since then.
He was arrested following investigations into the death of
an elephant, found by Anthiyur forest personnel on Dec 16 at
Kallipali near Vellitirupur village with its tusks removed.
A search was launched to locate the poachers and they
arrested Rasu and his accomplices Perumal and Madeswaran and
seized two big tusks from them. One more person was wanted in
connection with the incident.
Police said the arrested trio admitted that they had shot
dead the elephant and removed the tusks with the help of an
axe. They were remanded to judicial custody by a court today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof