Eminent bureaucrat PC Alexander passes away
Chennai: Seasoned bureaucrat PC Alexander,
a close aide of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, died of
cancer at a hospital here on Wednesday at the age of 90.
Alexander, who had served as governor of Maharashtra and
Tamil Nadu, was undergoing treatment at Madras Medical Mission
Hospital for the last few weeks and breathed his last this
morning, hospital sources said.
He is survived by wife, two sons and two daughters.
Alexander, a Rajya Sabha member from 2002-2008, held
eminent positions in his five-decade long career as a public
Alexander`s name was considered for the post of President
during the NDA rule in 2002 to succeed K R Narayanan but he
lost the race due to certain political complexities at the
time, leading to the election of APJ Abdul Kalam. An upset
Alexander had then resigned as Maharashtra Governor.
He held the gubernatorial post for over 11 years both in
Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
In his bureaucratic career, Alexander, an 1948 batch IAS
officer, left his own imprint for his standards of efficiency,
impartiality and integrity.
It was these qualities that took him to the post of
Principal Secretary to late Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and
Rajiv Gandhi from 1981 to 85.
Alexander served as High Commissioner for India in
London and held senior posts in the UN Civil Service for 10
Enriched by his rich administrative experience, Alexander
had won the acclaim and admiration as a gifted and erudite
speaker on a wide range of subjects.
Alexander has authored several books, articles and
research papers. Some of books include "My Years with Indira
Gandhi", "The Perils of Democracy" and "India in the New
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli