Encroachment charge: Chidambaram`s family pulls down portions of wall
Chennai: Portions of a compound wall constructed allegedly by encroaching government land here by the wife and son of Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram were Tuesday pulled down by them after officials pointed out the "corrections" required.
"They were willing to pull down the wall when we pointed out where all they needed corrections. They demolished the structure (wall) wherever we had suggested corrections," Chengalpet Tehsildar Elangovan, under whose jurisdiction the land in a fishing hamlet falls, said.
Arun Natarajan, counsel for Chidambaram`s wife Nalini and his son Karti, maintained that they had themselves pulled down the structure after officials made some suggestions.
He said they had requested for a survey of the boundary line for this purpose.
Locals at Karikkattukuppam fishing hamlet at Muttukadu near here had recently filed a complaint with police alleging that Nalini and Karti had encroached government land, blocking the approach way of fishermen to the sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!