Encroachment charge: Chidambaram`s family pulls down portions of wall
Chennai: Portions of a compound wall constructed allegedly by encroaching government land here by the wife and son of Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram were Tuesday pulled down by them after officials pointed out the "corrections" required.
"They were willing to pull down the wall when we pointed out where all they needed corrections. They demolished the structure (wall) wherever we had suggested corrections," Chengalpet Tehsildar Elangovan, under whose jurisdiction the land in a fishing hamlet falls, said.
Arun Natarajan, counsel for Chidambaram`s wife Nalini and his son Karti, maintained that they had themselves pulled down the structure after officials made some suggestions.
He said they had requested for a survey of the boundary line for this purpose.
Locals at Karikkattukuppam fishing hamlet at Muttukadu near here had recently filed a complaint with police alleging that Nalini and Karti had encroached government land, blocking the approach way of fishermen to the sea.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?