Encroachment charge: Chidambaram`s family pulls down portions of wall
Chennai: Portions of a compound wall constructed allegedly by encroaching government land here by the wife and son of Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram were Tuesday pulled down by them after officials pointed out the "corrections" required.
"They were willing to pull down the wall when we pointed out where all they needed corrections. They demolished the structure (wall) wherever we had suggested corrections," Chengalpet Tehsildar Elangovan, under whose jurisdiction the land in a fishing hamlet falls, said.
Arun Natarajan, counsel for Chidambaram`s wife Nalini and his son Karti, maintained that they had themselves pulled down the structure after officials made some suggestions.
He said they had requested for a survey of the boundary line for this purpose.
Locals at Karikkattukuppam fishing hamlet at Muttukadu near here had recently filed a complaint with police alleging that Nalini and Karti had encroached government land, blocking the approach way of fishermen to the sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq