Eng students go on rampage to protest fee hike
Coimbatore: Students of an engineering
college here set on fire books, furniture and bicycles in
their hostel to protest the proposed hike in hostel fees,
police said on Friday.
The students alleged that the management of the PSG
College of Technology had increased the fees for ordinary
hostel room to Rs 19,000, putting an additional burden of Rs
5,000 on a student annually.
Shouting slogans against the management, the students
also ransacked the hostel warden`s room last night.
Senior police officials, including city police
commissioner Amaresh Pujari rushed to the spot to bring the
situation under control.
After the protest, the management and students held
negotiations and the proposed hike was withdrawn late last
night, the college sources said.
About 100 policemen, deployed in the hostel premises,
were withdrawn following the decision, police said, adding, no
complaints had been lodged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra