Eng students go on rampage to protest fee hike
Coimbatore: Students of an engineering
college here set on fire books, furniture and bicycles in
their hostel to protest the proposed hike in hostel fees,
police said on Friday.
The students alleged that the management of the PSG
College of Technology had increased the fees for ordinary
hostel room to Rs 19,000, putting an additional burden of Rs
5,000 on a student annually.
Shouting slogans against the management, the students
also ransacked the hostel warden`s room last night.
Senior police officials, including city police
commissioner Amaresh Pujari rushed to the spot to bring the
situation under control.
After the protest, the management and students held
negotiations and the proposed hike was withdrawn late last
night, the college sources said.
About 100 policemen, deployed in the hostel premises,
were withdrawn following the decision, police said, adding, no
complaints had been lodged.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor