Eng students go on rampage to protest fee hike
Coimbatore: Students of an engineering
college here set on fire books, furniture and bicycles in
their hostel to protest the proposed hike in hostel fees,
police said on Friday.
The students alleged that the management of the PSG
College of Technology had increased the fees for ordinary
hostel room to Rs 19,000, putting an additional burden of Rs
5,000 on a student annually.
Shouting slogans against the management, the students
also ransacked the hostel warden`s room last night.
Senior police officials, including city police
commissioner Amaresh Pujari rushed to the spot to bring the
situation under control.
After the protest, the management and students held
negotiations and the proposed hike was withdrawn late last
night, the college sources said.
About 100 policemen, deployed in the hostel premises,
were withdrawn following the decision, police said, adding, no
complaints had been lodged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!