Eng students go on rampage to protest fee hike
Coimbatore: Students of an engineering
college here set on fire books, furniture and bicycles in
their hostel to protest the proposed hike in hostel fees,
police said on Friday.
The students alleged that the management of the PSG
College of Technology had increased the fees for ordinary
hostel room to Rs 19,000, putting an additional burden of Rs
5,000 on a student annually.
Shouting slogans against the management, the students
also ransacked the hostel warden`s room last night.
Senior police officials, including city police
commissioner Amaresh Pujari rushed to the spot to bring the
situation under control.
After the protest, the management and students held
negotiations and the proposed hike was withdrawn late last
night, the college sources said.
About 100 policemen, deployed in the hostel premises,
were withdrawn following the decision, police said, adding, no
complaints had been lodged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you