Eng students go on rampage to protest fee hike
Coimbatore: Students of an engineering
college here set on fire books, furniture and bicycles in
their hostel to protest the proposed hike in hostel fees,
police said on Friday.
The students alleged that the management of the PSG
College of Technology had increased the fees for ordinary
hostel room to Rs 19,000, putting an additional burden of Rs
5,000 on a student annually.
Shouting slogans against the management, the students
also ransacked the hostel warden`s room last night.
Senior police officials, including city police
commissioner Amaresh Pujari rushed to the spot to bring the
situation under control.
After the protest, the management and students held
negotiations and the proposed hike was withdrawn late last
night, the college sources said.
About 100 policemen, deployed in the hostel premises,
were withdrawn following the decision, police said, adding, no
complaints had been lodged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested