Ensure release of Lankan refugees from camps: PMK to Centre
Chennai: PMK founder S Ramadoss on Monday said
India should take steps to ensure the "release" of internally
displaced Sri Lankan Tamils lodged in refugee camps and asked
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi to strongly take up
the issue with the Centre.
"Indian Government should take immediate steps for the
release of Tamils from the camps. The Chief Minister should
press the Centre to depute its emissaries to Colombo for this
purpose. We are ready to join hands with him by burying the
differences over the MPs delegation to Sri Lanka if he
strongly took up the matter with Centre," he said.
Ramadoss was referring to the absence of opposition MPs
in a ten-member delegation comprising DMK, Congress and
Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) members that left for Sri
Lanka on Saturday to study the living conditions of the IDPs
lodged in the camps.
Karunanidhi has been facing flak for omitting opposition
MPs in the delegation headed by TR Baalu. The MPs visit was
not a Centre-sponsored tour and they went on behalf of DMK,
Congress and VCK, Karunanidhi had said.
Responding to Karunanidhi`s remarks that other MPs were
also free to approach the Centre seeking its nod to travel to
Sri Lanka, Ramadoss said "We are ready to take a delegation to
Sri Lanka under CPI national secretary D Raja and meet
President Mahinda Rajapakse. But will the Government of India
give permission and recommend our case to Sri Lanka? Or will
Karunanidhi recommend it to the Prime Minister," he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers