Ensure strike is peaceful: Karuna tells party cadre
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Monday urged party cadres to ensure that the general strike called by the party-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO tomorrow was peaceful and held in a democratic way.
"Some elements will indulge in violence and put the blame on DMK workers. Hence you should be vigilant and guard against such elements," he said in a statement on the eve of the dawn-to-dusk strike called to press the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka in the UNHRC.
Those who had extended their support to the strike had done voluntarily and therefore no hardships should be caused to the general public, he said.
Karunanidhi had last year revived the Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO) floated by him in the 80s.
Karunanidhi, whose party is a key ally of UPA, has been insisting that the Centre support the US resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal