Ensure strike is peaceful: Karuna tells party cadre
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Monday urged party cadres to ensure that the general strike called by the party-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO tomorrow was peaceful and held in a democratic way.
"Some elements will indulge in violence and put the blame on DMK workers. Hence you should be vigilant and guard against such elements," he said in a statement on the eve of the dawn-to-dusk strike called to press the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka in the UNHRC.
Those who had extended their support to the strike had done voluntarily and therefore no hardships should be caused to the general public, he said.
Karunanidhi had last year revived the Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO) floated by him in the 80s.
Karunanidhi, whose party is a key ally of UPA, has been insisting that the Centre support the US resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack