Ensure strike is peaceful: Karuna tells party cadre
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Monday urged party cadres to ensure that the general strike called by the party-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO tomorrow was peaceful and held in a democratic way.
"Some elements will indulge in violence and put the blame on DMK workers. Hence you should be vigilant and guard against such elements," he said in a statement on the eve of the dawn-to-dusk strike called to press the Centre to support the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka in the UNHRC.
Those who had extended their support to the strike had done voluntarily and therefore no hardships should be caused to the general public, he said.
Karunanidhi had last year revived the Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO) floated by him in the 80s.
Karunanidhi, whose party is a key ally of UPA, has been insisting that the Centre support the US resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what