Ephedrine valued at rs two crore seized; 6 held
Chennai: In what is suspected to be security
breach, 6.5 kg of a banned drug has been seized at the airport
here and six persons, including the bus driver of a private
airlines, arrested in this connection.
Besides the driver of a bus used to ferry passengers from
terminal to the flight, the arrested also included a woman
and a Sri Lankan national, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
Additional Director General C Rajan told.
The value of the seized drug, Ephedrine, meant to be
smuggled to Kuala Lumpur, is around rs two crore.
The official said the suppliers had handed over the parcel
containing the drugs to the driver of the bus of Jet Airways.
He had first hid the contraband in the vehicle and later in
another tractor. The DRI team also seized the vehicles used in
the crime, including the bus, he said.
While four were taken into custody at the airport here
last evening, two others, suspected to be suppliers, were
arrested from Guindy near here.
Meanwhile, officials are miffed over the modus operandi as
the parcel containing the drug managed to slip past different
layers of security which the DRI, sources said, was planning
to take up with security agencies at the airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people