Erstwhile secretariat takes shape as multi speciality hospital
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday inaugurated a Rs 141.14 crore, 400-bed Multi Super Speciality Hospital here, which was the erstwhile secretariat complex constructed by the previous DMK regime.
The sprawling over 10 lakh sq.Ft building had been built by the previous M Karunanidhi-led DMK government at the Omandurar Government Estate in the city to accommodate the state legislature.
After coming to power in the May 2011 polls, Jayalalithaa had in August that year announced her government would set up a state-of-the-art Multi Super Speciality Hospital to deliver quality medical services to the poor and on-par with the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi.
The government overcame legal hurdles to go ahead with its proposal to convert the Secretariat complex into a hospital.
She inaugurated the hospital via video-conferencing from the state Secretariat.
Among others, the hospital will have nine speciality departments including those for Cardiac and Neurology besides 14 operation theatres, a state government release here said.
Other amenities include a Central research lab, blood bank, CT Scan and MRI Scan besides many others.
While 160 CCTV cameras have been established all over the hospital, it will also have 200 intercom and 500 local telephone connections, it added.
In the first phase, 83 medical and 232 para-medical posts have been created at a recurring expense of Rs 20.73 crore. Highly qualified and experienced medical professionals have been appointed, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH