Erstwhile secretariat takes shape as multi speciality hospital
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday inaugurated a Rs 141.14 crore, 400-bed Multi Super Speciality Hospital here, which was the erstwhile secretariat complex constructed by the previous DMK regime.
The sprawling over 10 lakh sq.Ft building had been built by the previous M Karunanidhi-led DMK government at the Omandurar Government Estate in the city to accommodate the state legislature.
After coming to power in the May 2011 polls, Jayalalithaa had in August that year announced her government would set up a state-of-the-art Multi Super Speciality Hospital to deliver quality medical services to the poor and on-par with the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi.
The government overcame legal hurdles to go ahead with its proposal to convert the Secretariat complex into a hospital.
She inaugurated the hospital via video-conferencing from the state Secretariat.
Among others, the hospital will have nine speciality departments including those for Cardiac and Neurology besides 14 operation theatres, a state government release here said.
Other amenities include a Central research lab, blood bank, CT Scan and MRI Scan besides many others.
While 160 CCTV cameras have been established all over the hospital, it will also have 200 intercom and 500 local telephone connections, it added.
In the first phase, 83 medical and 232 para-medical posts have been created at a recurring expense of Rs 20.73 crore. Highly qualified and experienced medical professionals have been appointed, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video