Ex-DMK MLA facing sexual harassment charge gets bail
Madurai: Madurai Bench of Madras High Court on Monday granted conditional anticipatory bail to former DMK MLA Karuppasamy Pandian in a sexual harassment case.
Granting the bail, Justice CT Selvam directed Pandian to sign in the Coutralam Police Station for a week daily.
Police had registered the case on a complaint from N Tamilarasi, whose family members also belonged to DMK, that Pandian had sexually harassed her at his bungalow in Coutralam on August 28 last.
The Judge said section 506 (2) of Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Women`s Harassment Act will not apply to the charges against Pandian.
"The particular section could be invoked only if the person misbehaved with a woman in a public place. Here the incident is reported to have happened in a room. The complainant had alleged that the former MLA had tried to misbehave with her in a room. There was no proof that the girl had been threatened. Hence bail was being granted," the Judge said.
Police had filed cases against Pandian under IPC sec 294(b)(seduce), 354 (sexual harassment) among others on Sept 19 last following a complaint from Tamilarasi.
The woman alleged that Pandian misbehaved with her, sexually harassed her and attempted to seduce her into submission,and on being resisted, she was threatened.
Pandian denied the allegations and said they were politically motivated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert