Ex-Panchayat Commissioner sentenced in bribe case
Chennai: A former panchayat official in Puducherry was on Friday sentenced to four years imprisonment by a CBI court for accepting a bribe of Rs 5,000 for an official work in 2010.
Puducherry Principal District and Sessions Judge CS Murugan also imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on G Aneetchan, former Commissioner of Villianur Commune Panchayat.
The CBI had in 2010 registered a case against Aneetchan based on a complaint that he demanded a bribe of Rs 5,000 from the complainant for certifying trip sheets for garbage cleaning work undertaken by him in Villianur area.
Aneetchan was caught by the CBI while accepting bribe from the complainant and the cash recovered from him, a CBI release here said.
CBI had filed a charge sheet under various sections of Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will step down if chair becomes impediment in father's vision for J&K: Mehbooba Mufti
- Nuke programme made Pakistan's defence impregnable: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army now confirms Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq Pandit held
- Kepler 62f: An exoplanet 1200 light years away may be habitable!
- UEFA Champions League final: Five classic Real Madrid-Atletico Madrid derbies