EX-PMK MLA held for grabbing of Gandhi Ashram land
Namakkal: Former PMK MLA Dr K Nedunchezhian, was arrested here on Friday, on the charge of grabbing land belonging to the historical Gandhi Ashram in
Tiruchengode in the district.
Nedunchezhian was arrested in connection with the case registered on a complaint by an official of the ashram, District Crime Branch, DSP Parameswaram said.
The ashram was set up in 1925 by late Rajaji, known as the conscience keeper of Mahatma Gandhi, on four acres of land donated by a local zamindar with the objective of empowerment of rural women and creation of self sufficiency for rural
Rajaji, a stalwart of the freedom struggle in the south, had stayed in the ashram for about 10 years.
Besides the former MLA, who had recently quit the PMK, two of his associates Kamaraj, an advocate, and Ponmani, former president of Tiruchengode Panchayat, were also taken into custody, he said.
All the three were produced before a magistrate court and remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed