EX-PMK MLA held for grabbing of Gandhi Ashram land
Namakkal: Former PMK MLA Dr K Nedunchezhian, was arrested here on Friday, on the charge of grabbing land belonging to the historical Gandhi Ashram in
Tiruchengode in the district.
Nedunchezhian was arrested in connection with the case registered on a complaint by an official of the ashram, District Crime Branch, DSP Parameswaram said.
The ashram was set up in 1925 by late Rajaji, known as the conscience keeper of Mahatma Gandhi, on four acres of land donated by a local zamindar with the objective of empowerment of rural women and creation of self sufficiency for rural
Rajaji, a stalwart of the freedom struggle in the south, had stayed in the ashram for about 10 years.
Besides the former MLA, who had recently quit the PMK, two of his associates Kamaraj, an advocate, and Ponmani, former president of Tiruchengode Panchayat, were also taken into custody, he said.
All the three were produced before a magistrate court and remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Toyota launches new engine facility in Bengaluru
- Rio-bound boxer Manoj Kumar reaches out to PM Narendra Modi – Here's why
- Subramanian Swamy denies targeting Arun Jaitley, says he looks very smart in a coat
- PM Modi launches Smart City projects in Pune, calls it "People's Mission"
- Govinda chose 'The Kapil Sharma show' over 'Comedy Nights Live'—Here's why?