EX-PMK MLA held for grabbing of Gandhi Ashram land
Namakkal: Former PMK MLA Dr K Nedunchezhian, was arrested here on Friday, on the charge of grabbing land belonging to the historical Gandhi Ashram in
Tiruchengode in the district.
Nedunchezhian was arrested in connection with the case registered on a complaint by an official of the ashram, District Crime Branch, DSP Parameswaram said.
The ashram was set up in 1925 by late Rajaji, known as the conscience keeper of Mahatma Gandhi, on four acres of land donated by a local zamindar with the objective of empowerment of rural women and creation of self sufficiency for rural
Rajaji, a stalwart of the freedom struggle in the south, had stayed in the ashram for about 10 years.
Besides the former MLA, who had recently quit the PMK, two of his associates Kamaraj, an advocate, and Ponmani, former president of Tiruchengode Panchayat, were also taken into custody, he said.
All the three were produced before a magistrate court and remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre