EX-PMK MLA held for grabbing of Gandhi Ashram land
Namakkal: Former PMK MLA Dr K Nedunchezhian, was arrested here on Friday, on the charge of grabbing land belonging to the historical Gandhi Ashram in
Tiruchengode in the district.
Nedunchezhian was arrested in connection with the case registered on a complaint by an official of the ashram, District Crime Branch, DSP Parameswaram said.
The ashram was set up in 1925 by late Rajaji, known as the conscience keeper of Mahatma Gandhi, on four acres of land donated by a local zamindar with the objective of empowerment of rural women and creation of self sufficiency for rural
Rajaji, a stalwart of the freedom struggle in the south, had stayed in the ashram for about 10 years.
Besides the former MLA, who had recently quit the PMK, two of his associates Kamaraj, an advocate, and Ponmani, former president of Tiruchengode Panchayat, were also taken into custody, he said.
All the three were produced before a magistrate court and remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader