Ex-Puducherry minister gets bail in impersonation
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday granted
anticipatory bail to sacked Puducherry Education Minister PML Kalyanasundaram facing charges of impersonation in SSLC exam
in Tamil Nadu, though the state opposed the relief, claiming
he would tamper with the evidence.
A bench of justices Altamas Kabir and S S Nijjar said
Kalyanasundaram shall present himself before the investigating
officer on December 3 and, thereafter, submit himself before
the official as and when required to extend all cooperation in
The former minister shall also report to the district
crime branch on every Monday at 10.30 AM and shall also not
leave Puducherry without the prior permission of the trial
court in Tamil Nadul, the bench said specifying the bail
Attorney General G E Vahanvati, who was asked by the
bench to assist the court, said the state government had
already conducted two preliminary enquiries and had collected
relevant materials pertaining to the case.
Hence, he felt that there was little scope to tamper
with the evidence. Senior counsel U U Lalit appeared for the
However, Tamil Nadu`s Additional Advocate General Guru
Krishna Kumar stoutly opposed the bail, arguing that the
accused was a former minister and had the propensity to tamper
with the evidence and influence witnesses.
"Public life demands that greater should be the probity
for an elected representative and he shall not be given any
indulgence," he told the bench.
Kalyanasundaram has been evading arrest by Tamil Nadu
police since the first week of November after being accused
of engaging a proxy to write his SSLC examination at a centre
in the neighbouring state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack