Expert group on Koodankulam project likely
Chennai: Slammed by Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa for the stalemate over the Koodankulam
Nuclear Power Project issue, the Centre on Tuesday said an expert
group is likely to be set up this week after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh returns from his overseas trip.
Hours after Jayalalithaa accused the Centre of "inaction"
and blamed it for the impasse, Minister of State in the PMO V
Narayanaswamy said the Centre would also seek the "guidance"
of former president APJ Abdul Kalam on ways to dispel the
apprehensions of the people over the KNPP project.
"The Centre`s expert group, comprising scientists from
the environment, nuclear and ocean fields, will be set up
after the Prime Minister`s return from South Africa. It will
be a neutral body and there will not be any representative
from the Atomic Energy Commission," Naryanaswamy told a news agency from
Dr Singh would return from South Africa tomorrow and the
group is expected to be set up this week, he said after
Jayalalithaa issued a strongly worded statement accusing the
Centre of doing little to allay the fears of locals who have
again launched their agitation against the project.
Jalayalithaa took exception to Narayanaswamy`s statement
that the Centre was still awaiting the state government`s
response on composition of the expert committee, which the
Prime Minister had promised to send to allay the fears of the
locals, causing delay.
Describing Narayanaswamy`s remarks as "a deliberate
attempt to put the blame on the state government", she said
the Minister, sent as an emissary of the Prime Minister to
meet the agitators, had not taken any steps to allay their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'