Fake driving licence racket busted in Coimbatore
Coimbatore: Police on Wednesday claimed to have busted a fake driving licence racket with the arrest of eight persons, including three data entry operators at the RTO office here.
Speaking to reporters, City Police Commissioner AK Vishwanathan said a special team monitored the movement of a few brokers, based on a complaint by D Sivaguranathan, South RTO that two persons had received licences on identical number and description.
Based on the input by an Intelligence Section Head constable, eight persons were arrested, he said.
Three of them, who were data entry operators, used to give details of licences which needed to be renewed or transferred. Two others produced fake licences through computers with numbers in original driving licences, after scanning existing two wheeler licence and converting them into four-wheelers and heavy and light motor vehicle licences, Vishwanathan said.
The others were working as brokers around RTO office and managed to get prospective customers for two-wheelers, LMV and LMV Badges, HTV, charging Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000 as against the offcial fee of less than Rs 2,000, he said.
About 50 fake licences, rubber stamps, a scanner, printer and computer were seized, he said, adding all the eight were produced before a court and sent for remand and lodged in the Central Jail, he said.
Asked about the involvement of RTO personnel, he said investigations are still on after which it would be clear who else were behind the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi