Fake driving licence racket busted in Coimbatore
Coimbatore: Police on Wednesday claimed to have busted a fake driving licence racket with the arrest of eight persons, including three data entry operators at the RTO office here.
Speaking to reporters, City Police Commissioner AK Vishwanathan said a special team monitored the movement of a few brokers, based on a complaint by D Sivaguranathan, South RTO that two persons had received licences on identical number and description.
Based on the input by an Intelligence Section Head constable, eight persons were arrested, he said.
Three of them, who were data entry operators, used to give details of licences which needed to be renewed or transferred. Two others produced fake licences through computers with numbers in original driving licences, after scanning existing two wheeler licence and converting them into four-wheelers and heavy and light motor vehicle licences, Vishwanathan said.
The others were working as brokers around RTO office and managed to get prospective customers for two-wheelers, LMV and LMV Badges, HTV, charging Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000 as against the offcial fee of less than Rs 2,000, he said.
About 50 fake licences, rubber stamps, a scanner, printer and computer were seized, he said, adding all the eight were produced before a court and sent for remand and lodged in the Central Jail, he said.
Asked about the involvement of RTO personnel, he said investigations are still on after which it would be clear who else were behind the racket.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram