Fake driving licence racket busted in Coimbatore
Coimbatore: Police on Wednesday claimed to have busted a fake driving licence racket with the arrest of eight persons, including three data entry operators at the RTO office here.
Speaking to reporters, City Police Commissioner AK Vishwanathan said a special team monitored the movement of a few brokers, based on a complaint by D Sivaguranathan, South RTO that two persons had received licences on identical number and description.
Based on the input by an Intelligence Section Head constable, eight persons were arrested, he said.
Three of them, who were data entry operators, used to give details of licences which needed to be renewed or transferred. Two others produced fake licences through computers with numbers in original driving licences, after scanning existing two wheeler licence and converting them into four-wheelers and heavy and light motor vehicle licences, Vishwanathan said.
The others were working as brokers around RTO office and managed to get prospective customers for two-wheelers, LMV and LMV Badges, HTV, charging Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000 as against the offcial fee of less than Rs 2,000, he said.
About 50 fake licences, rubber stamps, a scanner, printer and computer were seized, he said, adding all the eight were produced before a court and sent for remand and lodged in the Central Jail, he said.
Asked about the involvement of RTO personnel, he said investigations are still on after which it would be clear who else were behind the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what