Farmers demand price as per new Land Acquisition Bill
Kancheepuram: Even before the Land Acquisition Bill receives Presidential Assent and became an act, farmers in Cheyyur in Tamil Nadu have demanded compensation as per rates fixed in the legislation for their farm lands sought to be acquired by a subsidiary of Power Finance Corporation for a power plant.
The farmers accused the Coastal Tamilnadu Power Limited (CTPL), floated by public sector PFC for implementing the 4000 MW Cheyyur Ultra Mega Power Project, of attempting to rush through the land acquisition process to avoid paying higher rate that would come into being once the act was notified.
The CTPL is acquiring land in Cheyyur and surrounding hamlets of Chitharkadu, Vedal and Gangadevan Kuppam in the district for the project.
The farmers of these villages in a petition presented to the District Collector said the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2013 passed by Parliament provided for higher compensation for farm lands acquired.
They said the CTPL was acting in "great haste" and served notice on farmers to acquire their lands for a price of 6.5 lakh per acre, the old guideline value.
The new guideline value would be four times that of the existing rate and would enable the farmers to buy alternative land to continue their occupation, representatives of the farmers said, adding they would not cede their lands till the demands were met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM