Farmers` plea to PM on Cauvery issue
Tiruchirappalli: Various Cauvery Farmers` Associations of Delta districts have appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to publish the final notification for implementing the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal award in the gazette.
They assured all cooperation to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in her efforts in this regard.
The Associations also appealed to former chief minister M Karunanidhi to urge Singh to gazette the final notification as it was during his tenure the tribunal was constituted.
A meeting of the Associations held here last evening also decided to send a delegation to meet the Prime Minster if the Chief Minister wanted them to do so.
The farmers expressed anguish over Karnataka political leaders deciding to go on a delegation to meet the Prime Minister to plead against issuing of final notification by this month-end for implementing the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal award.
Meanwhile, PR Pandian, State Council member of the Tamil Nadu Vivasayigal Sangam, told newsmen that unless two wettings were done immediately, crops in various districts could not be saved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption