Farmers` plea to PM on Cauvery issue
Tiruchirappalli: Various Cauvery Farmers` Associations of Delta districts have appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to publish the final notification for implementing the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal award in the gazette.
They assured all cooperation to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in her efforts in this regard.
The Associations also appealed to former chief minister M Karunanidhi to urge Singh to gazette the final notification as it was during his tenure the tribunal was constituted.
A meeting of the Associations held here last evening also decided to send a delegation to meet the Prime Minster if the Chief Minister wanted them to do so.
The farmers expressed anguish over Karnataka political leaders deciding to go on a delegation to meet the Prime Minister to plead against issuing of final notification by this month-end for implementing the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal award.
Meanwhile, PR Pandian, State Council member of the Tamil Nadu Vivasayigal Sangam, told newsmen that unless two wettings were done immediately, crops in various districts could not be saved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai