Farooq meets Karuna, thanks for backing UPA on FDI
Chennai: A day after securing the backing of the key ally DMK on the FDI issue, Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Wednesday met DMK chief M Karunanidhi and thanked him for his support to the UPA coalition in Parliament.
"I thank him for the support that he has given to UPA and in most of the things that are coming up in Parliament. We are very grateful to him", Abdullah told reporters after the meeting.
Asked whether the UPA government was on a strong wicket on the issue of FDI in multi-brand retail sector, he said "we are on a very strong wicket and on most of the other things coming up in Parliament, we are on a strong wicket".
Abdullah, who is here to attend a function, said Karunanidhi was very close to his father and he came to pay his respects to him.
In a huge relief to UPA, DMK yesterday decided to support the UPA government in Parliament on the FDI in multi-brand retail sector when the discussion on takes place.
The party has decided on this course with "bitterness" so that communal forces do not take advantage of the situation and come to power, Karunanidhi had said.
- IPL 2016, Match 30: Yusuf Pathan's heroics power Kolkata Knight Riders to five-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Israel says Erez crossing into Gaza to reopen
- Czech Republic OKs 'Czechia' as one-word version of its name
- Officials involved in water tanker scam in drought-hit Maharashtra's Beed suspended
- 37-year-old trader shot dead near Seelampur metro station in Delhi