Father has the right to give his child in adoption: HC
Madurai: The Madurai bench of the Madras High Court on Friday ruled that a father has a right to give his child in adoption.
A division bench comprising Justice S Tamilvanan and Justice VS Ravi, rejecting the plea of the child`s grand mother, held that father is the legal guardian of the child after the death of her mother.
The child`s father had given her in adoption to a couple and she was being taken care of by them, the bench said.
The grand parents of the child had become old and they would not be able to take care of the child properly. The adopted parents were taking good care of the child, the judges said dismissing a petition filed by the grandmother against the kid`s father`s decision.
The grandmother submitted that her daughter Shanti was married to one Ramalingam a few years ago. The couple had a son and a daughter. After the birth of the daughter, Shanthi died.
The grandmother said Ramalingam refused to give his seven month old daughter to her.
Ramalingam told the court said that he had given his daughter in adoption to a couple who did not have children. The adoption had been formally registered and they were taking care of the child, he said.
The child also wanted to be with the adopted parents, Ramalingam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister