Father held for female infanticide in Tamil Nadu
Dharmapuri: A 30-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday for killing his 22-day-old daughter, police said.
R Madhaiyan and Mala, residents of Pennagaram taluk in the district, already have three girls aged eight, seven and two, police said.
Mala gave birth to another girl child at Government Head Quarters Hospital in Pennagaram on June 03.
Disappointed over this, Madhaiyan, a labourer, poisoned the newborn leading to her death on Tuesday. The family members buried the body on the pretext that the baby had died due to an illness, police said.
Suspicious villagers informed the police and they exhumed the body. This was sent for a postmortem in which it was found that the child was poisoned.
After an inquiry, Madhaiyan was arrested and charges under various sections of the IPC, including murder, were framed against him.
Police said though Madhaiyan had earlier made attempts to kill the child, it was prevented by Mala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees