FDI: Victory in LS will ensure UPA govt stability, says Karuna
Chennai: Hours after the Centre`s victory in voting on FDI in retail in Lok Sabha, DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday said this would help stability of the UPA government.
"The vote margin will help support the principle of a stable government at the Centre", he told reporters here.
Karunanidhi, whose party extended its support to UPA on the FDI in multi-brand retail, giving it a huge relief, said, "Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad telephoned me to thank for the support".
To a question, he said he and his party MPs would continue to press the Centre to take steps so that small traders and farmers are not affected by the move.
Karunanidhi said he had emphasised several times that a stable government at the Centre should not fall and "today`s victory in the Lok Sabha was a success in that direction".
To a question, he welcomed the Supreme Court directing Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu.
In an interim relief to Tamil Nadu, the Supreme Court directed Karnataka today to release 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day and asked the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) to hold its meeting to decide the amount of water required by the states.
Karunanidhi accused the media of trying to create a `wedge` between him and PMK leader Ramadoss over the Dalit issue. "This will not happen", Karunanidhi said.
A day after political parties, including DMK, demanded action against him for allegedly pursuing caste politics, PMK leader S Ramadoss today charged DMK chief M Karunanidhi with "disguising" himself as a friend of the Dalits.
In a statement, Ramadoss said Karunanidhi had formed a coalition in 2001 by aligning with all caste leaders and had termed it as an `accomplishing coalition`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India