FIR by Tamil Nadu police against IPS trainee
Chennai: The Madras High Court was on Friday informed that the anti-dowry cell of Tamil Nadu police had registered an FIR against an IPS trainee for offences under various IPC sections, Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Harassment of Women Act and Information Technology Act.
When a petition from a young city woman seeking a directive to police to register a case against the trainee on her complaint came up for hearing before Justice S Nagamuthu, Additional Public Prosecutor M Maharaja said an FIR had been registered against the trainee and his parents on April 26.
Recording the submission, the Judge dismissed the petition as `infructuous`.
In her complaint of Dec 9 last year to the City Police Commissioner, the woman submitted that the trainee had cheated her after having an affair with her. The man had been introducing her to others as his fiancee and promised to marry her, she claimed.
However, after successfully appearing for the IPS exam and becoming a trainee, his attitude and that of his parents changed and they allegedly demanded a huge dowry knowing full well that her parents could not meet the demand.
She prayed for appropriate action against the man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players