FIR by Tamil Nadu police against IPS trainee
Chennai: The Madras High Court was on Friday informed that the anti-dowry cell of Tamil Nadu police had registered an FIR against an IPS trainee for offences under various IPC sections, Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Harassment of Women Act and Information Technology Act.
When a petition from a young city woman seeking a directive to police to register a case against the trainee on her complaint came up for hearing before Justice S Nagamuthu, Additional Public Prosecutor M Maharaja said an FIR had been registered against the trainee and his parents on April 26.
Recording the submission, the Judge dismissed the petition as `infructuous`.
In her complaint of Dec 9 last year to the City Police Commissioner, the woman submitted that the trainee had cheated her after having an affair with her. The man had been introducing her to others as his fiancee and promised to marry her, she claimed.
However, after successfully appearing for the IPS exam and becoming a trainee, his attitude and that of his parents changed and they allegedly demanded a huge dowry knowing full well that her parents could not meet the demand.
She prayed for appropriate action against the man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis