FIR filed against Vijayakant over scuffle
Madurai: An FIR was filed against DMDK founder Vijayakant on Thursday in connection with a scuffle between public prosecutors and the actor-politician`s counsel during hearing in a defamation case in Nagercoil, a week after the Madras High Court closed his anticipatory bail plea.
The court had on July 4 closed his plea following government advocate`s submission that no FIR was registered against him yet.
However, Nagercoil police registered FIR under IPC Sections 147 A (causing serious injuries), 506 (criminal intimidation) on Thursday.
Officials said they had registered the case against the Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu Assembly and four others on a complaint filed by public prosecutor Gnanasekaran.
Cases were also registered against public prosecutors Gnanasekaran, Kanagaraj, Vignesh, Selvakumar under various sections of IPC on a complaint by DMDK leader Jagannathan.
Vijayakant on July 4 moved the court apprehending arrest by Kanyakumari police following the scuffle claiming that police had booked him under various IPC sections including 147, 447 (criminal trespass) 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) based on a complaint given by the public prosecutor of the Kanyakumari district sessions court.
He alleged that the advocates belonging to AIADMK assaulted him and his party advocates at the court.
When the case was heard by Justice R Mala, the government advocates submitted that no complaint has been registered against the DMDK president in the alleged incident so far. Hence the judge closed the petition.
Unruly scenes were witnessed in the Nagercoil court on July 1 as some public prosecutors, supporters and counsel of Vijayakant allegedly exchanged blows when he appeared the court. The case was later adjourned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon