FIR filed against Vijayakant over scuffle
Madurai: An FIR was filed against DMDK founder Vijayakant on Thursday in connection with a scuffle between public prosecutors and the actor-politician`s counsel during hearing in a defamation case in Nagercoil, a week after the Madras High Court closed his anticipatory bail plea.
The court had on July 4 closed his plea following government advocate`s submission that no FIR was registered against him yet.
However, Nagercoil police registered FIR under IPC Sections 147 A (causing serious injuries), 506 (criminal intimidation) on Thursday.
Officials said they had registered the case against the Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu Assembly and four others on a complaint filed by public prosecutor Gnanasekaran.
Cases were also registered against public prosecutors Gnanasekaran, Kanagaraj, Vignesh, Selvakumar under various sections of IPC on a complaint by DMDK leader Jagannathan.
Vijayakant on July 4 moved the court apprehending arrest by Kanyakumari police following the scuffle claiming that police had booked him under various IPC sections including 147, 447 (criminal trespass) 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) based on a complaint given by the public prosecutor of the Kanyakumari district sessions court.
He alleged that the advocates belonging to AIADMK assaulted him and his party advocates at the court.
When the case was heard by Justice R Mala, the government advocates submitted that no complaint has been registered against the DMDK president in the alleged incident so far. Hence the judge closed the petition.
Unruly scenes were witnessed in the Nagercoil court on July 1 as some public prosecutors, supporters and counsel of Vijayakant allegedly exchanged blows when he appeared the court. The case was later adjourned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Shah Rukh Khan terms himself struggling writer, pens poem inspired from Zayn Malik
- 'Quantico' diva Priyanka Chopra misses mommy during shoots!- See pic
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released