Fire in Chennai hospital, three patients dead
Chennai: Three patients died of asphyxiation at the government-run Kilpauk Medical College Hospital here after a fire broke out in the Intensive Care
Unit in the wee hours of Saturday.
Krishna Bai (72), Tamil Arasi (45) and Nandha Gopal (51) died of asphyxiation due to the fire caused by a short circuit, which was noticed in the split air-conditioning unit of the ICU on the ground floor.
Five others in the ICU were immediately shifted to different wards, hospital sources said.
Tamil Arasi was admitted only last night following heart-related problem while Krishna Bai was admitted last week. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire.
Expressing sorrow over the incident, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said she had ordered the authorities concerned to take adequate preventive measures in all government hospitals to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
She also announced a compensation of Rs two lakh each from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund to the next of the kin of those killed.
Tamil Nadu Information, Law, and Courts Minister G Senthamizhan also visited the hospital immediately after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog