Fire in Chennai hospital, three patients dead
Chennai: Three patients died of asphyxiation at the government-run Kilpauk Medical College Hospital here after a fire broke out in the Intensive Care
Unit in the wee hours of Saturday.
Krishna Bai (72), Tamil Arasi (45) and Nandha Gopal (51) died of asphyxiation due to the fire caused by a short circuit, which was noticed in the split air-conditioning unit of the ICU on the ground floor.
Five others in the ICU were immediately shifted to different wards, hospital sources said.
Tamil Arasi was admitted only last night following heart-related problem while Krishna Bai was admitted last week. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire.
Expressing sorrow over the incident, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said she had ordered the authorities concerned to take adequate preventive measures in all government hospitals to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
She also announced a compensation of Rs two lakh each from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund to the next of the kin of those killed.
Tamil Nadu Information, Law, and Courts Minister G Senthamizhan also visited the hospital immediately after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan