Fire in Chennai hospital, three patients dead
Chennai: Three patients died of asphyxiation at the government-run Kilpauk Medical College Hospital here after a fire broke out in the Intensive Care
Unit in the wee hours of Saturday.
Krishna Bai (72), Tamil Arasi (45) and Nandha Gopal (51) died of asphyxiation due to the fire caused by a short circuit, which was noticed in the split air-conditioning unit of the ICU on the ground floor.
Five others in the ICU were immediately shifted to different wards, hospital sources said.
Tamil Arasi was admitted only last night following heart-related problem while Krishna Bai was admitted last week. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire.
Expressing sorrow over the incident, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said she had ordered the authorities concerned to take adequate preventive measures in all government hospitals to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
She also announced a compensation of Rs two lakh each from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund to the next of the kin of those killed.
Tamil Nadu Information, Law, and Courts Minister G Senthamizhan also visited the hospital immediately after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das
- Saarc FMs meet focused on trade, tax avoidance pacts: Das