Fire in Chennai hospital, three patients dead
Chennai: Three patients died of asphyxiation at the government-run Kilpauk Medical College Hospital here after a fire broke out in the Intensive Care
Unit in the wee hours of Saturday.
Krishna Bai (72), Tamil Arasi (45) and Nandha Gopal (51) died of asphyxiation due to the fire caused by a short circuit, which was noticed in the split air-conditioning unit of the ICU on the ground floor.
Five others in the ICU were immediately shifted to different wards, hospital sources said.
Tamil Arasi was admitted only last night following heart-related problem while Krishna Bai was admitted last week. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire.
Expressing sorrow over the incident, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa said she had ordered the authorities concerned to take adequate preventive measures in all government hospitals to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
She also announced a compensation of Rs two lakh each from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund to the next of the kin of those killed.
Tamil Nadu Information, Law, and Courts Minister G Senthamizhan also visited the hospital immediately after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured