Fire in Mettur thermal station, 1 dead
Salem (TN): One person died and two others were injured when a conveyor belt carrying coal to a boiler in the first unit of the Mettur Thermal Power Station here caught fire in the wee hours today.
District Revenue officer Prasanna Ramaswami said the mishap occurred at 1.30 AM due to the heat generated and the conveyor belt carrying coal caught fire.
The conveyor belt operator, Nallathambi (40) died on the spot, he said.
The injured have been hospitalised, the official said, adding, the fire was extinguished after seven hours.
The 400 metre long belt was damaged and coal burnt, he said.
The 840 MW thermal station has four units each with 210 MW capacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!