Fire in Mettur thermal station, 1 dead
Salem (TN): One person died and two others were injured when a conveyor belt carrying coal to a boiler in the first unit of the Mettur Thermal Power Station here caught fire in the wee hours today.
District Revenue officer Prasanna Ramaswami said the mishap occurred at 1.30 AM due to the heat generated and the conveyor belt carrying coal caught fire.
The conveyor belt operator, Nallathambi (40) died on the spot, he said.
The injured have been hospitalised, the official said, adding, the fire was extinguished after seven hours.
The 400 metre long belt was damaged and coal burnt, he said.
The 840 MW thermal station has four units each with 210 MW capacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert