Fire in Mettur thermal station, 1 dead
Salem (TN): One person died and two others were injured when a conveyor belt carrying coal to a boiler in the first unit of the Mettur Thermal Power Station here caught fire in the wee hours today.
District Revenue officer Prasanna Ramaswami said the mishap occurred at 1.30 AM due to the heat generated and the conveyor belt carrying coal caught fire.
The conveyor belt operator, Nallathambi (40) died on the spot, he said.
The injured have been hospitalised, the official said, adding, the fire was extinguished after seven hours.
The 400 metre long belt was damaged and coal burnt, he said.
The 840 MW thermal station has four units each with 210 MW capacity.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living