Firework unit mishaps: TN govt sets up mobile monitoring panel
Chennai: Faced with recurring mishaps in firework units in the national cracker hub of Virudhunagar district and elsewhere, the Tamil Nadu government today announced formation of a mobile monitoring committee that will undertake various tasks including safety checks.
The monitoring unit will be headed by the Additional Chief Inspector of Factories, a state government release here said.
"Workers have been greatly affected due to accidents in cracker factories in Virudhunagar district. Therefore, to prevent any mishap Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has directed forming a mobile monitoring committee," it said, adding the government will incur an expense of Rs 38.70 lakh for this.
Other members, include an Inspector of Factories and the monitoring team will among others, conduct surprise checks at cracker manufacturing units and review safety measures and health of workers, create awareness on safety aspects among management and employees alike besides keeping a daily watch on the match and cracker factories, it said.
Virudhunagar district in southern Tamil Nadu is famous for the thriving cracker manufacturing industry with Sivakasi taluk dotted with hundreds of such units which cater to the needs of fireworks across the country and overseas.
Fire mishaps in the units have been a recurring problem bringing to fore the safety measures.
At least 36 persons were charred to death and 73 injured in a devastating fire that swept through a fireworks factory complex at Mudhalipatti near Sivakasi in September last year.
On December 8 last, eight persons were killed and five others injured in a fire mishap at a fireworks unit godown near Salem.
A 42-year-old worker was killed and two others were seriously injured in a blast at a fireworks factory near Alangudi in Pudukottai last evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics