Firework unit mishaps: TN govt sets up mobile monitoring panel
Chennai: Faced with recurring mishaps in firework units in the national cracker hub of Virudhunagar district and elsewhere, the Tamil Nadu government today announced formation of a mobile monitoring committee that will undertake various tasks including safety checks.
The monitoring unit will be headed by the Additional Chief Inspector of Factories, a state government release here said.
"Workers have been greatly affected due to accidents in cracker factories in Virudhunagar district. Therefore, to prevent any mishap Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has directed forming a mobile monitoring committee," it said, adding the government will incur an expense of Rs 38.70 lakh for this.
Other members, include an Inspector of Factories and the monitoring team will among others, conduct surprise checks at cracker manufacturing units and review safety measures and health of workers, create awareness on safety aspects among management and employees alike besides keeping a daily watch on the match and cracker factories, it said.
Virudhunagar district in southern Tamil Nadu is famous for the thriving cracker manufacturing industry with Sivakasi taluk dotted with hundreds of such units which cater to the needs of fireworks across the country and overseas.
Fire mishaps in the units have been a recurring problem bringing to fore the safety measures.
At least 36 persons were charred to death and 73 injured in a devastating fire that swept through a fireworks factory complex at Mudhalipatti near Sivakasi in September last year.
On December 8 last, eight persons were killed and five others injured in a fire mishap at a fireworks unit godown near Salem.
A 42-year-old worker was killed and two others were seriously injured in a blast at a fireworks factory near Alangudi in Pudukottai last evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town