First Goondas Act detention of child sexual offender in TN
Chennai: For the first time in Tamil Nadu, the stringent Goondas Act was on Tuesday slapped on a man arrested on the charge of sexually assaulting a three-year old girl.
Shahis, running a textile shop here, was arrested along with a juvenile on a complaint from the mother of the girl that they had sexually assaulted the child on January 16 last, a police release said tonight.
Cases were registered against them under IPC sections and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act 2012. While Shahis was lodged in Puzhal Central Prison here after remand by a court, the other accused was produced before a juvenile justice board.
Meanwhile, some non-governmental organisations have petitioned the government seeking exemplary punishment to those involved in such crimes against children.
Chennai Police Commissioner today ordered the detention of Shahis under the Goondas Act in view of the crime targeting a child.
A press release issued by the police said this was the first time that an accused in a child sexual assault case has been detained under the Goondas Act.
Already, some rape accused have been detained under the Goondas Act in the state after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced a series of measures to protect women in the wake of the gangrape of a paramedical student in Delhi.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'
- Russia says bolstering forces to counter NATO