First Goondas Act detention of child sexual offender in TN
Chennai: For the first time in Tamil Nadu, the stringent Goondas Act was on Tuesday slapped on a man arrested on the charge of sexually assaulting a three-year old girl.
Shahis, running a textile shop here, was arrested along with a juvenile on a complaint from the mother of the girl that they had sexually assaulted the child on January 16 last, a police release said tonight.
Cases were registered against them under IPC sections and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act 2012. While Shahis was lodged in Puzhal Central Prison here after remand by a court, the other accused was produced before a juvenile justice board.
Meanwhile, some non-governmental organisations have petitioned the government seeking exemplary punishment to those involved in such crimes against children.
Chennai Police Commissioner today ordered the detention of Shahis under the Goondas Act in view of the crime targeting a child.
A press release issued by the police said this was the first time that an accused in a child sexual assault case has been detained under the Goondas Act.
Already, some rape accused have been detained under the Goondas Act in the state after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced a series of measures to protect women in the wake of the gangrape of a paramedical student in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!