Fisherman boat hit: TN govt writes to Coast Guard
Chennai: Taking serious note of the killing of a young fisherman after his boat was allegedly hit by a Coast Guard ship in the sea off Pamban coast, Tamil Nadu government has written to the Coast Guard to conduct a probe into the May 10 incident.
"On my direction, Chief Secretary has written to the Director General of Indian Coast Guard in Delhi seeking a detailed probe into the incident and demanding action against the guilty," Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa told the Assembly in a suo motu statement.
19-year-old Calvin Miller drowned when a ship allegedly collided with a country boat in which he was fishing along with four others in the sea off Pamban coast on May 10. While Calvin drowned, Santhia, Aruldass, Sinnasi and Devoss in the boat were rescued by fishermen of another boat in the sea.
Noting that she had already announced a solatium of Rs five lakh to the victim`s family, the Chief Minister said her government would take all steps to bring justice.
Emphasising the various measures taken by the government to protect the fishermen community, Jayalalithaa also recalled her letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy.
She said she had also urged the Prime Minister to treat the issue as a national issue in order to find a solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!