Fisherman boat hit: TN govt writes to Coast Guard
Chennai: Taking serious note of the killing of a young fisherman after his boat was allegedly hit by a Coast Guard ship in the sea off Pamban coast, Tamil Nadu government has written to the Coast Guard to conduct a probe into the May 10 incident.
"On my direction, Chief Secretary has written to the Director General of Indian Coast Guard in Delhi seeking a detailed probe into the incident and demanding action against the guilty," Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa told the Assembly in a suo motu statement.
19-year-old Calvin Miller drowned when a ship allegedly collided with a country boat in which he was fishing along with four others in the sea off Pamban coast on May 10. While Calvin drowned, Santhia, Aruldass, Sinnasi and Devoss in the boat were rescued by fishermen of another boat in the sea.
Noting that she had already announced a solatium of Rs five lakh to the victim`s family, the Chief Minister said her government would take all steps to bring justice.
Emphasising the various measures taken by the government to protect the fishermen community, Jayalalithaa also recalled her letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by the Sri Lankan Navy.
She said she had also urged the Prime Minister to treat the issue as a national issue in order to find a solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read