Fishermen attacks: Jaya slams lack of diplomatic initiatives
Chennai: Voicing concern over the continued attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday said lack of strong deterrent diplomatic initiatives by India have resulted in "even more outrageous, unprovoked and lethal attacks" by the Sri Lankan Navy on Tamil fishermen.
"India cannot maintain a pusillanimous equanimity in the face of such repeated brazen and uncivilised assaults on innocent fishermen belonging to Tamil Nadu, who are also citizens of India," she said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Eight fishermen of Pudukkottai district, who had ventured into the sea yesterday, were allegedly beaten up by the Lankan Navy personnel and in the second incident today six crew members of Nagapattinam district were attacked in which four fishermen suffered serious cut injuries on their hands and arms, she said.
The continuing "murderous" attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen have to be condemned in the strongest terms, she said.
It was "disappointing" that no strong deterrent diplomatic initiatives had been taken by the Centre despite repeated protests by the state government, she said, adding "this has resulted in even more outrageous, unprovoked and lethal attacks by the Sri Lankan Navy on Tamil fishermen".
Jayalalithaa said use of swords and iron rods to attack fishermen is "an act that is medieval in its barbarism".
Noting that this was the fourth serious incident of attack or "unwarranted apprehension" by the Lankan Navy in the last one month which was "worrisome", she urged Singh to take pro-active" steps to stop these unabated brutal attacks as well as arrests of Tamil Nadu fishermen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed