Fishermen attacks: Jaya wants PM to talk to Lanka
Chennai: Voicing serious concern over continued attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen allegedly by Sri Lankan Navy, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday asked the Centre to take up urgently the issue with the island government to ensure that no such "brutal incidents occur in mid-sea again."
"I am also deeply pained to point out that the issue of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen is not being treated as a national issue. No serious action is initiated whenever such attacks occur," she said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh drawing his attention to the recent incident when a boat carrying four fishermen of Rameswaram were attacked by "some Sri Lankan miscreants" who hurled petrol bombs.
She alleged that the continued occurrence of incidents of harassment proves that the Sri Lankan government has not taken serious measures to curb the incidents of violence against Tamil Nadu fishermen.
"These recurring attacks confirm my earlier statement that the Sri Lankan government is adopting double standards with regard to fishermen`s issues," she said.
Noting that the joint working group meeting held at Colombo in January this year agreed that use of force could not be justified under any circumstances, she alleged that assurances given by the Lankan government "only remain on paper."
The latest attack "proves that all discussions aimed at ensuring the safety of our fishermen while fishing is an exercise in futility," she said.
Jayalalithaa said she wished to reiterate that the consistent policy of her government was to "restore the fishing rights of the Indian fishermen in their traditional fishing areas in the Palk Bay waters where they have been traditionally fishing from time immemorial."
She urged Dr Singh to take up the issue with the Sri Lankan government and its President urgently, and ensure that no such "brutal incidents occur in mid-sea again".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Fact alert! Anushka Sharma performed her own stunts in Salman Khan's 'Sultan'
- LinkedIn notifies massive data breach, millions of passwords may have been leaked
- Karan Johar is keen to watch THIS Bollywood release! Any guesses?
- 12 killed as violence mars Bangladesh local body polls
- Assault on Africans: Eight held, Home Minister Rajnath Singh asks police to ensure safety